What is ‘un-planning’?
Unplanning is the idea that 10% of campaign content and media plans should be left unplanned, leaving room for spontaneity in the lead-up to a campaign launch. Effectively, brands should allocate 10% of their budget, content, and influencer relationships for this kind of spontaneous marketing to take place in the week leading up to the campaign launch, while the remaining 90% should be planned before the campaign launch.
The rationale – humanizing your brand
The rationale is that spontaneous social and digital marketing can humanize a brand’s digital presence, making them seem more like a friend than a giant impersonal cooperation to its followers. A big part of achieving this positive relationship is through being in sync with the cultural conversations that are happening real-time and online, which are in and of themselves spontaneous.
And as Thanakrit has personally witnessed in the campaigns he has led, there is also an important element of spontaneity in the best influencer marketing campaigns. A lot of the time, the best things happen unexpectedly and without any prior planning. So, when planning, brands should also plan to not plan (everything).
In 2022, it’s essential for brands to partner with newborn influencers.
Newborn influencers (not to be confused with baby influencers) are newly successful in their role. They have not been influencing for long and are not as established as influencers who have already made a career out of it.
Thanakrit’s unplanned approach calls for brands to align with newborn influencers who are known for making an impact during the online conversations they’re having at the time of the campaign launch. The rationale for this is that newborn influencers can generate huge returns due to the rapid growth of their follower base.
Some newborn influencers experience follower growth from tens of thousands to millions in a matter of days. Moreover, newborn influencers tend to have fewer conflicts, more flexibility, and can be willing partners for those first brands who are seeking growth-orientated relationships.
“Due to the simple fact that highly established influencers already have many demands on their time and numerous relationships with other brands, and already have fixed notions of what they are and aren’t willing to do, extensive planning is required to produce content that works. But for newborn influencers, there is an opportunity to be spontaneous with the content,” said Thanakrit.